Thursday, November 3, 2011

St. Louis and home!

Hey do you guys wanna know who likes baseball a whole lot?  St. Louis!  Yeah Woo!  And guess what,  the last two games of the World Series were scheduled the same two nights we were in town!  And the St. Louis Cardinals were IN the World Series and the World Series was IN St. Louis!  See where I'm going with this?

So there weren't a whole lot of music fans out in the bars while we were there.  The first show in town was at the Crack Fox with Mason Reed and Brown Bottle Fever, and it was awesome and the dudes were super nice and hardly anybody was there.  Seriously a really cool show though.  Here's a Crankshaft shot.

Billy from Brown Bottle Fever was so nice and let us park in his driveway and use his electricity and everything!  We didn't even get back there til around 3, then crashed until around 10.  We woke up super hungry and knew nobody else would be up for hours so we found a Denny's to eat at and use the internet.  We were jerks and stayed til like 130, then decided to go see the Arch.

It is a really impressive building.  Is it a building?  I mean, you can go up to the top of it, and it was built by someone I guess.


So it was super rad from the ground, and Alex really wanted to go to the top.  I'm afraid of heights and claustrophobic but I was like, this is a thing I can do, mind over matter and all that, plus I thought it would be cool to see the city from way up there.  So we bought tickets and went to get in line, where they play you a video and show you how it was built and all that jazz.  That's when I learned that you have to ride in this tiny little car with four other people to get to the top, for FOUR WHOLE MINUTES, and there are windows in the car, so the whole time you're going up you get to look at all the stairs you'll have to climb down if the thing gets stuck and all the rickety metal and old welders that they use to patch the thing back together, probably every day.  I was trying hard not to enter full panic mode, but I thought I was going to barf on that nice other couple.  Somehow I didn't barf, and I didn't even cry, just shook a lot, like a Chihuahua or something.  So then we got to the top and I felt like I might pass out, but I just talked to the people that work up there (there are people that work up there everyday!  and they take that terrifying car up there everytime!) and that made me feel better and I relaxed a little.  I even stopped shaking long enough to take this picture of Alex exhaling a barge!  We're clever.

Then I had to get the hell off that thing and smoke.  We hung around in the park there for a little while longer and decided to go to the venue for that night, Three Kings Pub, which is down by the University.  Leaving downtown we hit a bunch of traffic, possibly due to this:

That is a crappy cell phone pic taken through our bug-covered windshield, but you get the idea.  When we got across town we somehow scored primo parking right in front of the venue, then decided to take a nap for a few hours.  Every single person walking down the street was talking about the game, it was nuts.  And it only got nutsier when they won.  Airhorns aplenty!  Drunk and screaming college kids! Yeah!  We thought this would be a good thing because people would be in a good mood and stuff, but it turns out that almost no one at the bar was into music really, they were all sportsfans.  Go figure.  Alex was supposed to play at 10, but because of the game he didn't go on til 11:15. 

He only played for an hour an a half and still got the guarantee though, so that was cool.  We sold a few cds and a few people got up and danced.  Not a bad show, but not the best way to end the tour either.  After we loaded up, we found a Walmart to park in and bundled up in extra clothes and all of our blankets against the 38 degree night.

Then we woke up at 8 am and made for home.  It was boring and flat and we barely stopped, so no photos.  Eleven hours later, we pulled up to the Crankstead and greeted our frantic Fender dog and the venerable KP .  Then we slept and slept and slept!  The End.

Oh, and come see us on Sunday at the River City in Anoka from 6-10 for the homecoming show!  We missed you!

1 comment:

  1. It's too bad that you didn't have a big turnout at several of the shows on tour, but it sounds like you had a great experience none the less. I guarantee that you will have a good turnout at your hometown gig at the R.C.S.! Welcome back!!